The children in the Nepal begin learning English in grade four in our village school and grade one in private school, so it’s not a surprise that most of the student have basic level of English. The benefits of learning English from a native speaker are inspiring for the young children.
We place volunteers in rural elementary schools an hour outside of Kathmandu to assist the local teachers with their English classes and other subjects. These volunteers are able to experience living in rural villages and will observe the true meaning of “community.” As a volunteer with our Teach English Program, you will have the opportunity to give these children the education and support they need and deserve.
Most of our schools welcome volunteers who want to get involved in other aspects of school life, or run extra-curricular activities and after-school clubs. Alongside your conversational English classes you could help with Sports. You can teach football, cricket and volleyball. Everyone enjoys having a volunteer who is keen to teach English or other subjects in the morning then get involved with arranging sports, drama and song in the afternoon.
In this program you will be placed in a local school to teach Nepali children to speak, read and write English. You do not need any formal training for this program. We can place you in a school with text books or in a school with little info structure depending on what you personally are looking for. This is a very challenging program with amazing rewards. You will stay with a local family who lives close to your school during this program.
The schools do not have much for you to work with, you will basically be teaching in a bare room with only a chalk board. We recommend you bring along any teaching supplies you feel will help. Large book stores have a great selection of teaching supplies including Q cards and short stories with related questions placed on cards for convenient travel. It is greatly appreciated if you are able to leave any teaching supplies at your school.
As a volunteer you will be:
• Teaching and tutoring children in English and math.
• Developing a creative environment for children through crafts, games and sports.
• Assisting with creating low-cost teaching material.
• Organizing health check-ups for students, creating hygiene awareness.
More Tips and Information:
• Project start:
• The projects run all throughout the year. Therefore your project will start on an individual date depending on actual openings and your schedule.
• Time of arrival:
• It is quite comfortable to arrive a few days before the start of your project. You will have enough time to recover from the journey and to do the first trips. This allows you to acclimatize and to get to know your host family, the country and the people.